Wednesday 28 December 2011

I'm a Local...Get Me Out of Here!

Facebook is a marvel don't you think? Without it we would not be able to get our grievances off of our chests or read about those of other people that seem to haunt their lives so. It seems that every time I click onto Facebook I see at least one 'friend' moan about where they live and the fact that they have to 'git oot ae this place'. Firstly I would like to point out that I detest people writing like that. I was once a person of such literally laziness but I've since shaken my bones to become the very person that you read today. The only time that you'll catch me writing anything like that would be out of mockery of people that are the same age as me but act as if they are 12. Anyway, back to my main point. People don't ever seem to be happy with where they come from. They always seem to feel that the grass is much greener somewhere else but my view is that the place you live is what you make of it, not what it says on the tin.

Coming home for Christmas from the Capital was likely to be a bit of culture shock for me. I thought I was going to be bored beyond belief and that I would count down the days until I was back in a city again - it's just not been like that. Apart from the fact that pretty much everything that I need is here, I am proud to call this place home. I've called it that for the last 19 and a half years of my life and I don't think I'll ever think of it as anything other than that, even when I (inevitably) move elsewhere. I'm first to admit that I won't always live here and in about 10 years I doubt if my family will still live here at all but I will always know where my roots are and I think that is an important thing to remember.

The most common complaints that I see are that there is nothing to do in the place that the complainant comes from or that the people (mostly the opposite sex to said complainer) are boring. It tends to suggest that these people sitting on their back-ends all day looking at a computer screen, getting to the stage where they are beyond bored and feel the need to tell everyone else about it. If they are so bored then the first place that they should be looking is not at where they are but instead who they are. It saddens me to see that some people that I went to high school haven't taken any steps forward with their lives, haven't started something new, haven't even tried to either. I can tell them all one thing for sure: having come from city to hometown in the last week or so, your location does not matter a jot.

I'm not the best person to be writing about putting yourself 'out there' but at least I can say that I'm doing something positive with my life - and something that can be pursued from home or from in Edinburgh. Just one last point before I bring this post to a close. I actually think that it's very rude to say that where you live is boring because not only are you insulting your own intelligence but you also sound very ungrateful to the people that brought you to that place, or decided that you would grow up there. If you want out so bad then I think there needs to be mirror usage before you go any further.

Thanks for reading,

Martin

P.S. I'm going to put up that poll that I mentioned in the last post in the next couple of days with a few suggestions for the name of my next blog - keep your eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.