Saturday 24 December 2011

Back Home

I've been pining after this day for a very long time now. I could spurt out some useless clichés such as 'you don't know what you've got until it has gone' but I'm starting to understand just what that means. Now, from those couple of sentences, with it being Christmas Eve and the fact that I'm writing this from home and not from Edinburgh, you would think that I'm happy to be home and that Christmas has finally wriggled its way into my psyche - you would only be half right I'm afraid. Yes it's grand to be home and to feel a modicum of Christmas cheer but the greatest thing that I can say I'm delighted about it that I can blog again, free from the guilt of procrastination and the stress of exams. I can't begin to tell you just how many ideas I've had for posts over the last few weeks whilst the exam period kept me hostage - solitary confinement tends to get the mind working. I'm so happy to be home and to be spending Christmas with my family but to add gravy to the turkey, I'm blogging again and that makes me feel just as at home.

My life has taken a couple of interesting turns in the time that I've not been tapping out sweet, sweet prose in my blog. I don't really intend on rambling on about those things in the coming weeks but a few things have hit home. There have been highs and lows and everything in between and something tells me that I'm going to look back on the exam diet just past with a profound knowledge that something changed in me.

Another thing that really struck me was the fact that, in just a few months time, the name of this blog will be a lie - and I don't like to lie. Yes, in little under 3 months time I will be saying my farewells to my teenage years and stepping into my 20s with as much trepidation as I had when I took my first step. My plan over the holiday (which is going to fly past faster that Santa is going to have to fly tonight) is to come up with a new blog title, decide where to host that blog and then hopefully come up with a quirky way to sell it to people. It will be 2 years in January since Ramblings of a Teenager was born - I'm such a proud parent! - and it's getting close to the time when it will fly the nest for the first time and be left to fend for itself. In it's place will be a fresh faced and hopefully better blog which I'm really looking forward to starting up. Here is the plan:

I'm going to come up with a few possible names over the next week and then put a poll up to see what people like. I would love if people could suggest stuff over on the Facebook page - funny/mocking/rude ideas will be considered, laughed at and possibly given a mention in a future post. I'm then going to decide where to host this blog. I've grown attached to Blogger in the time that I've been blogging and I've seen it go through a lot of changes (for the better) but I'm not sure if I can mould it into what I want to do. Tumblr appeals to be as well as does WordPress but I'll have to make a big-boy, excutive decision on that one. The final thing that I need to decide on is the content I want to have in the blog and then how to get that content over to people in the best way. The article format has served me very well and will provide the spine to my new blog but I would like to branch out a little bit and to make more use of social networking as well - what's that coming over the hill, is it a twitter account, is it a twitter account!?

I would just like to say one huge thank you to everyone that clicks on my blog every week because without the super support and helpful feedback, Ramblings of a Teenager would never have survived more than a couple of months. Keep your eyes peeled for more developments about this new blog over on the Facebook page and at the end of future posts. 

For now I would like to wish everyone a very Merry (and safe) Christmas and I'll be back before the new year!

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.