Thursday 21 October 2010

Special Guest Numero Uno

I know that it's currently a Thursday night and I said that I would be posting on Sunday nights only but I guessed that since I didn't post on the Sunday past that I was in some ways in debt. So I have been trying to think of something to write about all night but I can't come up with anything substantial so I thought I would use one of my back-up plans - my guest writer. I have had this piece of text for a couple of weeks now and I've meant to put it in a post since I got it but I've had other things to do like procrastinate on Facebook so it never got done. 

So what is this text that I have. Well it was written by a rather talented writer although they are, as always, unwilling to accept it. I'll let you all make your own mind up about it but I feel that this type of writing should be encouraged because it's the kind of stuff that keeps each and everyone of us sane. Enjoy:

isn't it strange how you can be having a terrible day and feel like the entire world is waiting to see you fall flat on your face, and it takes just a few kind words from a complete stranger to restore your faith in the entire human race?

that happened to me today, at work. i was obviously looking as fed up as i felt and as i tilted my head sideways and peered over my till, i saw a sweet looking, little old man appear in front of me. he looked pretty fragile now, but it was evident that maybe a few decades ago he was strong! he placed his items in the basket perched in-front of me. this gained him brownie points straight away as far as i was concerned as he wasn't one of the ignorant few who place their items directly on top of the "do not place items on the counter" sign. you have no idea how irritating that is.

we exchanged pleasantries and he told me of how he hated coming to the shops but that it was something he had to learn to deal with as he didn't have anybody to do it for him. this was in no way a plea for pity but more an informative sentence from the man. a lump appeared in my throat as i thought of the man sitting alone throughout the rest of his days. i think he saw it in my face as he said straight away "don't worry darlin' I'm made of sturdy stuff". i let out a giggle. he was alright, he wasn't the fragile soul i had believed him to be.

he was extremely wise, as you would expect from a man of his age, but that is something i have sadly been disproved of. the harsh realisation that elder people can be just as ignorant as the claim we are, was something i came to terms with many years ago. i learnt more from talking to that man for a few minutes than i usually do talking to most people for a few hours. he was an interesting man.

as i replied to his enquiry as to what the problem was, i simply said "it's just one of those days". he said "nothing is ever as bad as you think, there is always a way through it, and if not then go around it. either way whilst trying to find that route you will forget. and without even knowing it, you have resolved the issue". i pondered over that philosophy for the duration of my shift. 

now before that man left, he gently grasped my hand, looked at me with a soft, gentle expression on his face and exclaimed: "you have the most precious smile, don't ever lose it. not for anyone". that man changed some things for me, and i wish i could see him again to say thank you.

what do you think? can someone change your perspective on an issue with a few simple words?

So there you go. It can only be said to be a good day when you get to witness something like this or meet someone like that. Even getting to read about it makes you think a little bit as well. I hope you enjoyed it and I would encourage everyone to get typing occasionally. I would also love if more people could send me some of their work (remember I don't have to put your name up as with this post).

Thanks for reading and don't stray too far for it is almost Sunday!

Cheers, 

Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.