Monday 13 December 2010

Home for Christmas

I feel that now I'm home, I'll have even more time to blog - aren't you all lucky? The thing is that since I've been home it's as if nothing ever changed. The only thing that reminds me that I have been going to university for over 3 months now is the fact that I've had to bring notes home with me (and maybe the fact that I make sarcastic, law related comments now and then). I'm struggling to be able to tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's probably not going to have any affect on me at all because, like it or not, I'm going to be heading back to Edinburgh in January to embark on another fun-filled university semester - In that respect I have nothing to worry about. But what if I get sucked back into my old routines and habits of home so much that it feels like I'm moving out for the first time all over again? How is everyone else that are coming home from other universities feeling? Have I even changed at all?

Thankfully I'm not going to bore you with my innermost thoughts and feelings because that could make for one heck of a boring blog post - unless you are an avid 'OK' or 'Hello' reader who in fact gets off on that kind of thing. No, I'm just going to give a short answer to the last of the above questions. If I was to keep it very short I would just say 'yes'. I'm not sure if it's an overtly noticeable change but I know that there is something different about me now that I've come through my first semester. I feel more confident and yet more grounded at the same time. It's very simple: I am a (slightly) more outgoing person than I was three months but at the same time I realise just how lucky I am to be in my current situation which makes me more humble than I was. It's an interesting mix and not one that anyone will pick up on over the next month or so but I think it's enough that I've noticed.

So what did I actually do with my first day home? Today was much like the summer: I got up, watched TV for most of the day, read my book for a bit, pottered around on the internet and, well that's actually about it. See what I mean about falling back into old habits? The good thing (and I say that with a a touch of trepidation) about uni is that I've got some proper work to do over the holiday which will mean that I'm not going to get bored quickly - a perk of enjoying your course you might say. I was just thinking when I got home a few days ago that I'll never really be able to 'shut down' again. By that I mean that even when I'm going to be on 'holiday' in the future, I'll always have something that I'll need to do - I don't think that the legal profession is conducive to having lazy holidays.

So if you've learned one thing from this post then it is that I've changed. You may not notice it, you may even think I'm still exactly the same (help us all), but it's something that has made me feel better about myself so that can't be all that bad. I might also have let slip that I'm a bit of a workaholic but then again, anyone that knows me at all will see no change there whatsoever! Be prepared for a posting frenzy in the coming weeks - after all, I'm on holiday now!

Thanks for reading,
Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.