Wednesday 9 March 2011

When What is New is Old

When I sat down to write Monday's post, I wasn't really all that sure what I was going to write about. I guess the idea stemmed from the topic that I had in mind for today's post in that there is 'listening' aspect to it. When you think of listening, the first thing that pops into your head are ears - not in the literal sense obviously unless your whole body started to turn inside out! Through this wonderful connection I managed to produce one of my favourite pieces to date, proving that it can often be the most simple thought processes that produce great things. Today's post topic has been in my mind for a while which in itself is quite funny because since I spawned the idea, things have changed and continue to do so as I write. I've never been one for the top 40 music chart. On the rare occasion I do look at the chart or listen to the radio show on a Sunday, I find myself hearing the same song about 5 or 6 times in a row. Then I'll hear a little bit of genius from someone such as the wonderful Ellie Goulding; but then it'll go back to rap songs about someone's mum or 'saucy' songs by the latest, flash-in-the-pan, girl band. It is at this point I usually consult my iPod in an attempt to re-gain some sanity. If anyone has ever heard me dismiss another person's music taste then I would like to take this opportunity to revoke any such statement because a music taste is one of the best things that people have as individuals. I'm always a bit skeptical when someone's iPod is filled with chart music, but I'll turn a blind eye (or ear if that's possible and no I honestly don't have a fetish) to those ones then go and put some of my own music on.

But what, I hear you scream (like a crazed teenage girl over Justin Bieber), is the reason behind writing this post. That opening was fairly vague and more or less only said that chart music as a whole sucks, but I guess that is exactly what I'm trying to get at. I'm fortunate enough to have had some form of 'music-taste intervention' from a young age in the form of my Dad. In fact, two of the artists that he introduced to me are now amongst my most played and are the two that I've seen most in concert. Old(er) music is just awesome. At a time when I hear lyrics asking me to relay someones name to them (thanks Rihanna) or how to 'get low', I've always got some good quality stuff to go and hide away with until it's gone. Yes the music nowadays is very catchy and I'll enjoy listening to the tune of the song, but when you listen to music from 10-15 years ago then, you realise that most of it has already been done. A prime example comes from one of the two artists that I mentioned before - Elvis Costello. You'll all be familiar with the Rogue Traders song Voodoo Child, but have you ever heard of Pump it Up by Elvis Costello? Listen to them both and you'll see what I mean. It was intentional that they nicked the riff from the Costello song but it really makes you think: how many 'new' songs do we hear that are just re-polished classics?

I'm like a small child that has this toy that he's is really proud of and just want everyone to see it. By that I mean that (once again) I'm pulling my Cheese Theory out of the archives - the second time I've done that since its composition in the early days of this blog. If you enjoy music in any form, then why don't you sample everything? I've got a very diverse selection of music on my iPod which not only reflects my changing mood but also that I've given things a chance. Some things (like Neil Young) that I really didn't like a year or 2 ago have become some of my favourite collections of music. You would also be hard pushed to find very much chart music on my iPod because it usually takes me a couple of years, when everyone has stopped listening to it on repeat, for me to take a real interest. I get my fix of chart music on the radio: why should I sully my iPod with it as well? What's more, all of the tunes are somewhere on my iPod anyway with better, original lyrics - I'm not going to waste space in that respect. The music industry is crippled by people downloading music illegally when all they should really be doing is getting older music on the cheap - it may well have the same effect but at least it'll make you feel less guilty.

Some of the best conversations come from music. I am one of those people that likes to link my favorite song of the moment to Facebook because I like to see what people think of it. On top of that, every time someone links a song that they like, I'll listen to it. I've found some great music this way and that's the way it should be for everyone. If we all told someone about a couple of songs (or even an artist) that we like then we could all be listening to some great stuff. The words 'have you heard...?' always make me prop my head up in interest and it's because of my Theory that I've become like that - cheese really has changed my life for the better!

Thanks again for reading and if you take one thing away from this is the recommendation to go and sample some Elvis Costello and Talking Heads/David Byrne - for that you are welcome.

Cheers,

Martin

P.S I've just published my Facebook page as a result of the recent poll. Go ahead a 'like' it so I can keep everyone (including people I'm not friends with on Facebook) up to date: 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramblings-of-a-Teenager/156149934438898

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.