Monday 21 November 2011

The Inevitable Has Happened

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR READERS OF RAMBLINGS OF A TEENAGER
Sorry but this blog will soon be closing down on account of it's chief (and only) writer being a liar and a scoundrel - he bought a Kindle. Your computer will explode in 5...4...3...2...

Just kidding, you can put the party on hold for now and be safe in the knowledge that I don't have the ability to remotely make anyone's computer explode. But yes, it is true, I purchased a Kindle at the weekend and you know what? I love it. In fact it turns out (as if this was always the plan) that I predicted that one day I would get a Kindle for the primary purpose that I decided to get one on Friday - to put my university reading on it. One thing that is for sure is that I'm not going to lose touch with the good old paper back any time soon and, as if to neutralise the purchase, I spent £25 on books last week - real books. But I've said it already and I'll say it again: I love the Kindle. The screen is like nothing I've ever seen before. I spent the whole weekend at home gazing at it from various angles, testing out the claim that it works in any light. I must have looked like a monkey with a new toy as I contorted by body in an attempt to be able to say something bad about it - I couldn't and I think I probably pulled a few muscles in the process. 

I felt a little dirty as I trotted down to John Lewis to get my hands on one of the must have gadgets of the moment. I peered around corners and carried with me a bag of grenades (actually just a backpack of dirty clothes balled up to make everything fit in) in case things got heated - who knows who I could have bumped in to? I whistled innocently as I walked past someone reading a paper back and I avoided walking directly past Banana Books (if it's even called that any more) so as not to incite suspicion. I boarded the electronic stairs (an elevator to you and me) and ascended into the middle class world of John Lewis. Skirting around the woman's section (see what I did there? eh?) before dealing with a brief encounter with the lingerie department (I'm on fire!) I found myself again on the moving steps, dropping down the gullet of the Christmas clad department store that I love so. The electrical department came into sight (along with about a million people - have they not got anything better to be doing?) and my mission was then simple: get the Kindle without anyone noticing (apart from the cashier - I'm no thief!) and get the hell out of there. Kindle and debit card in hand I rushed through the check-outs and ran for the door, emptying dirty boxers and socks that were weighing me down. I made it out and I was free.

Only about 20% of that story is actually true. I couldn't actually find the Kindle in the shop so I had to go an ask for help - how lame - and I definitely did not drop any of my dirty washing in John Lewis. For that I will accept the gratitude of anyone that was in the shop on Friday afternoon. I also didn't move as fast as I made out because I ended up missing the train I was going for - by about 40 seconds. When I did finally get home, I cracked open the box and the wonder that is the Kindle was revealed to me. It's a neat little thing and I can see myself properly falling in love with it very soon. I'm still working out the best way to get some one my uni reading to show on it but when I've worked it out I'll wonder why I once bad-mouthed the wonder that is the Amazon Kindle.

Thanks for reading,

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.