Monday 22 November 2010

Harry Potter Syndrome

So as promised, this latest post is not going to be about me or my self-deprecating ways - 'whew!' I here you exclaim and rightly enough. I was getting a bit fed up about writing about my life because if I've already lived it once and it's occasionally too much to write about it as well. Obviously the stuff I've been writing about for the last couple of months has hit the mark though and, as I mentioned at the foot of last week's post, I would like to thank everyone who has complimented (or 'bigged up' as kids on the street might say) my posts. It really means a lot that: 1) there is actually people taking time to read it and 2) that they are taking even more time to tell me that they enjoyed it. I've written more than 10 lines now and I've not talked about anything but me which I promised I wouldn't but I'm one of those people that can't ever say thanks enough so be prepared for it too pop up again in the future!


Anyway the topic for this post comes as a result of me going to see the new Harry Potter film last night which I must say was fantastic. It has been years since I read the book but the film was so true to it and followed it so well that it all came back to me rather vividly. The very few people that I've talked to that didn't like it must have walked into the wrong screen - or even the toilet. I was one of those people that was a bit annoyed when I first heard that they were splitting the last book into 2 movies but as it happens, I think they've nailed it. And anyway who wouldn't want to make an extra few hundred million out of a film? I fear that July is now too far away and I'll have to watch 'Part 1' again - it's a hard life sometimes but someone has to do it.

However (and I'm now wondering why I'm going to focus on something negative about the Harry Potter films after I enjoyed last night so much) I feel there might be a massive negative in the Harry Potter film franchise. Yes, I think it's fantastic that they've managed to keep the same cast together all the way through and the actors are all fantastic - but where do they go now? I think that if I ever saw Daniel Radcliffe in another film then I would be inclined to think 'there's Harry Potter' rather than who he is actually meant to be. I know that Rupert Grint has done other things, my personal favourite being 'Thunderpants' (what a film!), but again he'll always be 'that ginger guy that played Ron'. However I think we all know who I would like to see a lot more of (so much so I've asked Santa for her this year!). OK, that might just be the view of an overly excitable teenage guy but EMMA WATSON IS BEAUTIFUL! Enough said. From a slightly more film-buff (and slightly less perverse) point of view, I really would love to see her in other films to see what she can do - Lisbeth Salander in an English remake of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' was whispered around for a bit for example. However she too will always be Hermione Granger to our generation. Those 3 have grown up as being the faces of Harry Potter but now that it's done, where do they go? It's OK for people like Alan Rickman (Snape) because he is already a distinguished actor and can flit between roles seamlessly - what of the 3 young wizards though?

I was quite looking forward to writing a different style of post and I have to say it has not disappointed - well not for me anyway. It remains to be seen if other people will like this different style but I sure hope they do. I think I'll keep this up for another month or so just to give me something to distract me from exam revision - something to escape to when divorce cases just get too much!

Thanks for reading and be sure that I'll be reviewing the first serious film that one of them do after Harry Potter is all done.

Cheers,

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.